News Corp. U.K. Unit Stops Use of Private Eyes After Phone-Hacking Scandal
By Amy Thomson – Jan 17, 2012 7:13 AM ET
News Corp. (NWSA)’s U.K. publishing unit has stopped using private detectives in the aftermath of the phone-hacking scandal, Tom Mockridge, News International’s chief executive officer, told a media inquiry.
Reporters must get permission to use investigators and he hasn’t approved any requests, Mockridge told the judge-led inquiry into press ethics today. The company has come under fire after employees hired a detective to hack into mobile phones for stories.
Mockridge’s predecessor, Rebekah Brooks, was arrested in July as part of a police probe into hacking. Mockridge joined News International from News Corp.’s Sky Italia and he’s been tasked with overseeing changes that will prevent a repeat of the scandal, which led to the closure of the group’s most successful tabloid, the News of the World.
“It might be over ambitious to say culture has changed entirely in six months, but I think there’s a change in structure and governance,” the 56-year-old Mockridge said.
Rupert Murdoch, chief executive officer of the parent- company News Corp., often checks in with Mockridge several times a week to discuss advertising rates, top stories in Britain and the Leveson inquiry, Mockridge said. The News International board also has monthly meetings on compliance policy, he said.
Judge Brian Leveson is overseeing the inquiry, called for in July by Prime Minister David Cameron. It is separate from dozens of civil lawsuits filed by phone-hacking victims and three police investigations that have yielded more than 20 arrests in the last year.
Bloomberg LP, the parent of Bloomberg News, competes with News Corp. units in providing financial news and information.
To contact the reporter on this story: Amy Thomson in London at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Kenneth Wong at email@example.com