Suspect Detained in North China Explosions That Killed One
By Bloomberg News - Nov 8, 2013 2:42 AM ET
Chinese authorities detained a suspect in connection with Nov. 6 blasts in the northern city of Taiyuan that killed one person and sparked security concerns ahead of a Communist Party gathering in Beijing tomorrow.
The 41-year-old man, who had served a nine-year prison term for stealing, confessed after he was captured at 2 a.m. today, the official Xinhua News Agency reported. Police found homemade bombs at his residence, Xinhua said.
Police tape cordons off the scene of the blasts outside a provincial headquarters of China’s ruling Communist Party in Taiyuan, Shanxi province on Nov. 6, 2013. Source: AFP/Getty Images
“The case has been cleared up,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a briefing in Beijing today. “The suspect has confessed to his crimes. Investigation and collection of evidence is still ongoing.”
The bombing occurred three days before Communist Party leaders hold a Nov. 9-12 meeting where they may lay out a series of economic reforms. Earlier this week, Public Security Minister Guo Shengkun announced a plan dubbed ‘Beijing Security Moat’ to head off terrorist attacks before or during the gathering.
Security had already been tightened after a car rammed a bridge near the Forbidden City in Beijing on Oct. 28 and burst into flames, killing the three occupants and two bystanders. Officials said the incident was a terrorist attack.
The Taiyuan explosions went off at about 7:40 a.m. outside a Communist Party building in the city. Eight people were wounded in the explosions, one of them seriously, according to Xinhua.
To contact Bloomberg News staff for this story: Penny Peng in Beijing at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Rosalind Mathieson at firstname.lastname@example.org